[mythtv-users] Picked up my "only for Tivo" M-Card tonight

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Thu Feb 23 23:35:20 UTC 2012

On 02/23/2012 06:12 PM, Grant McChesney wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Dale Pontius <DEPontius at edgehp.net
> <mailto:DEPontius at edgehp.net>> wrote:
>
>     My new HDHomerun Prime came yesterday, and this evening I went to the
>     local Comcast to pick up my M-Card.  They told me that they were told
>     that their M-Cards were "only for Tivos", but they were willing to give
>     me one anyway, and wished me luck.
>
>     I presume that the "only for Tivo" story is out of ignorance - by their
>     management.  Either that or they want to prioritize Tivo users ahead of
>     Media PC users.  When I mentioned a Media PC, they didn't offer any
>     other solution, just the "only for Tivo."
>
>     Am I correct, that an M-Card is an M-Card is an M-Card?
>     Or is there another path I should be taking, here?
>
>     I haven't opened opened the packaging yet for the HDHR, figuring that if
>     things went really far south it's easier to return an unopened package.
>
>     Thanks,
>     Dale Pontius
>

> M-Card (Multi-steam) is what you need.  I've found it much easier to
> tell them it's for a Tivo when picking it up and activating it.

I was just reading the directions a few minutes ago, and they had 2
sections - "General Instructions" and "Tivo Instructions".

I just figured I'd ask here before breaking the seal on the HDHR.

Is there advantage to setting up an HDHR with ClearQAM first, before
adding the M-Card to the mix?
I presume I want to verify some basic functionality before calling for
Activation/Pairing.

Thanks,
Dale Pontius