[mythtv-users] MythTV Frontend for Android released on Market

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Feb 24 04:14:29 UTC 2012

On 2/23/2012 22:12, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 01:53, Craig Treleaven<ctreleaven at cogeco.ca>  wrote:
>
>> Maybe it would be a good thing if Myth found such a sponsor.
> "deep pocket" sponsors (unless you happen to be independently
> wealthy, are you?) tend to be those that see a way to make
> money on the investment (usually selling support or services).
> I suspect it would be hard these days to go to Sand Hill Rd and
> find a venture capitalist willing to fund a new company whose
> goal was to sell support/services for MythTV, and contribute to
> the development (the days of a business plan created on a
> napkin over lunch with VCs and funded that afternoon are
> long long over).

There is some of that going on.  I Cringley did a piece in 2005 about a
cable system in Canada using MythTV for its distribution network, and
licensing television straight off the satellite feeds.  The ASI support
put into 0.25 was contracted work for what I can only assume is a
similar purpose.  Pluto Home contracted the addition of the frontend
control socket.  Digital Nirvana pushed the mythccextractor application
upstream to us, likely as part of a tool to perform text searches and
produce video clips for new services and the like.  Silicon Dust has
been pushing patches for improved support of their devices for almost
two years now, beginning with the initial support of the Prime back in
April 2010.  There are rumors of hotels and schools and hospitals
running custom versions, and enough traffic on the mailing list to that
effect that odds are someone is actually doing it. On top of that, you
have OSUOSL providing rackspace for our server, and Silicon Mechanics
has provided hardware in the past.

We just don't have any large backers paying for salary engineers to
further the development of MythTV.