[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend (mythvideo) .25 crashes and timeouts

Bob K Mertz lists at bibleboy.org
Fri Feb 24 07:08:44 UTC 2012

On 2/24/12 1:06 AM, Phill Wiggin wrote:
> I recently upgraded my Myth install to .25. I've got a dedicated backend
> and 2 net-booting frontends. The problem that I'm hitting is that in .24
> (when mythvideo was a separate plugin), all my non-myth videos played
> fine.  Now, after the upgrade, certain files don't play.  Some stick on
> the 'Please wait..." screen, others crash to desktop, and a few play
> correctly.  It seems that anything I've ripped with xvid won't play.
> BluRay rips (mp4) play somewhat (but seem to have a slight video
> stutter). WMV files also play (with a stutter). OGM files stick at
> "Please wait..". MKV files seem to play fine, as does the one MOV file I
> have.
>
> Does it seem that I might have some sort of codec problem? I've compiled
> myth with xvid support and have xvid installed. I've tried installing
> both win32codecs and amd64codecs. I don't know enough about how
> mythvideo works to go further in that direction.

I personally would lean more towards a bandwidth issue rather than codec
but I can't say for sure.  I don't know enough about the insides to
really help but I think I would look in the direction of checking your
network connections.  I know that, for instance, if I have a DivX video
on my backend server and playing to a frontend using storage groups it
rarely would play correctly -- lots of skipping and jumping.  Those same
video files seem to play perfectly if I'm using an NFS share to the same
machine and using iptraf showed that the consumption of bandwidth was
astronomically larger with the storage groups -- but this was only one
type of video file and all the others worked just fine.  It might be
worth installing iptraf or some other program to give you an
understanding of what bandwidth is being consumed.