[mythtv-users] Can't change channel data with Mythweb anymore

Tim Flagg timfl at akirisolutions.com
Sat Feb 25 16:14:48 UTC 2012

On 29/05/2008, Bob Sully <rcs[at]malibyte.net> wrote:

>....I find that the channel editor in MythWeb no
>longer saves ANY changes I make....
>It goes through th motions after I hit "Save", but no data gets changed in
>the database. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing (delete a channel,
>change data within a chammel record, etc.).

I didn't see a post on how to fix this and it just happened recently.

Check the error log for your web server.
For example, on Ubuntu, check /var/log/apache2/error.log and you
may see the reason for the problem. For example:

        [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning:  Unknown: Input variables
exceeded 1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in
Unknown on line 0, referer: http://localhost/mythweb/settings/tv/channels

If you see the above error, then add the following line to
/etc/php5/apachd2/php.ini:

         max_input_vars = 100000

(I don't know exactly how big the number has to be but the above worked).

Then restart apache:

      service apache2 restart

I'm guessing the reason this started happening is related to a newer
version of php that introduces a new variable, "max_input_vars" that
is used to prevent Denial of Service attacks.   See
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/248000/hash_collision_dos_vulnerability_fixed_in_php_539.html
for more details on that.

Tim Flagg
http://www.akirisolutions.com