[mythtv-users] CPU for a frontend

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Feb 26 19:07:45 UTC 2012

On 02/25/2012 11:15 AM, dave cunningham wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My current frontend is SD only with an Intel Little Falls board.
>
> This has been fine (if a little slow navigating menus) but I'm now
> moving to HD and so it's time to upgrade.
>
> The frontend is and will be fanless in a mCubed case. I'm running on a
> PicoPSU type power supply so am quite limited component wise.
>
> Where I am at is GT430 + 4GB RAM + either a G630T or i2100T (+ DVDR,
> net-boot).
>
> This frontend will be used exclusively DVB-T/T2/S/S2 FTV in the UK.
>
> Is there any reason as to why I should choose an i2100T over a G630T?
> (Conversely a G630T appears to be 50% cheaper than an i2100T here so
> that's the way I'm currently leaning).

For a Frontend-only box there is no reason why you cannot use an ION
based motherboard. I purchased a Zotac ION 2 years ago when they were
introduced, for use as a VOIP box. It does that job just fine!
But before I installed the VOIP setup, I tested it as a fronted.

No problems playing myth recorded OTA High Def. The box runs off a power
brick. It touches 35 watts for an instant during boot, and thereafter
stabilizes around 27-29 watts during HD replay. Small CPU fan is the
only fan installed. It has an Atom 330 dual core cpu and on-board nvidia
gpu (9500 or 9600 chip, can't remember which).

Lots of boards of this type at logicsupply,com for reference and of
course at mini-itx.com.

But if you are going to build up a box, then you probably should browse
at ark.intel.com  (yes that is an "R") and look at the i3 *and* i5 2xxxT
series cpus. They are all low TDP versions. The i3 I have my eye on is
the 2120T at 35 watts or the i5 2390T also at 35 watts TDP. Both are
dualcore at about 2.5 to 2.7GHz. There are also 17 watt chips! running
in the 1.5-1.7GHz range with Intel 2000 or 3000 video chipsets.

Given that the Zotac cpu is that sort of speed the real question point
for THIS use, is the video chipset. It looks like Intel will have full
video accel for their chips in the not too distant future. In the
meantime, you would need the GT430.

Of course, these are limited chips but they are built for a particular
niche.

And our limit is generally determined by the amount of 'wallet-pain' we
wish to endure....

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury