[mythtv-users] Blueray player as a UPnP client with MythTV

Jeremy Jones jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 02:25:45 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 3:37 AM, <lists at glidos.net> wrote:

> R KANNAN <rk111810 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> I am planning to buy a network enabled Blu ray player as a UPnP client with my Myth backend for playing back recordings on one of the TV. Is there anything I should look for in the player to ensure compatibility? Currently I have an old PlayStation3 connected to the TV for this purpose and it does not play back sub titles possibly because of incompatibility.
>>
>> Thanks
>

> Highly likely it will be incompatible. I'd suggest restricting your self to ones already known to work by someone here. I can't help you with a recommendation because my Sony doesn't work.

I have an LG  that does work, but the fast forward/ rewind function is
horrible.  I also have a Sony that does not work with mythtv, but it
will with miniDLNA. Neither of these setups is as good as a low cost
frosted. I just built one using a discarded case, an old HDD  and all
other new components for $140 (after rebates).

If you do decide to try out the bluRay then make sure it plays high
definition files over the network. Some (my Sony) will only do SD
across the network. Also, don't worry with Wi-Fi.  Most posts I've
seen on this list have reported a preference for the wired ethernet
for streaming video.

As for the subtitles I don't have any experience trying that.  I don't
think either of my BDP's will, but I may just be dropping that stream
when I transcode. Check the wiki for info on specific models.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:UPnP_Clients

Jeremy