[mythtv-users] HDPVR blasting problem. No lirc_zilog on CentOS 6.2 STUCK

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 23:08:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 22:19, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> LIRC 0.9.0 requires IR drivers built into the kernel, however those
> drivers were not built into the kernel until 2.6.36.  You're still using
> 2.6.32.  Inability to support new hardware and software is the
> consequence of running an OS with a 2yr old kernel.

RedHat backported a number of the lirc features/drivers
to their RHEL6 kernel.  I would presume CentOS took
those backports.  Perhaps not everything was backported
(or not completely).  Perhaps someone on the CentOS
distro support lists might know.

Personally, if I was running CentOS, I would select
hardware based on what the distro supports, which
likely includes the mceusb devices which tend
to "just work" (and last I knew were available really
cheap on secondary markets).  [Do not trust my
guess that mceusb's work in CentOS 6, check
the hardware support pages.]