[mythtv-users] Missing python bindings

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 22:07:43 UTC 2012

I've recently changed my build and runtime prefix for MythTV from
/usr/local/ to /mythbuild/new.  I have since done a make distclean prior to
rebuilding the myth binaries, the configure shows that the python bindings
will be included, and I have changed my LD_LIBARY_PATH to point to
/mythbuild/new/lib.  However, the python bindings seem to be broken.  If I
run the script:

su mythtv -c "cd /home/ken/mythcal-read-only; ./mythcal"

which I have as a cron job and used to work, I now get the result:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./mythcal", line 33, in <module>
    from MythTV import MythBE
ImportError: No module named MythTV

The metadata lookup script:

su - mythtv -c "/mythbuild/new/share/mythtv/metadata/Television/ttvdb.py -l
en -M Midsomer\ Murders"

produces this output:

The modules tvdb_api.py (v1.0.0 or greater), tvdb_ui.py, tvdb_exceptions.py
and cache.py.
They should have been installed along with the MythTV python bindings.
Error:(No module named MythTV.ttvdb.tvdb_ui)

Originally, I was getting a protocol mismatch error because (I assumed) it
was still seeing/using the python bindings in /usr/local.  I then went in
and did:

./setup.py uninstall --prefix=/usr/local

in the mythtv/bindings/python directory in the master git tree, which left
me with no python bindings.  I had the impression that the make install
would re-install the bindings.  I feel like I'm missing something obvious
here, but am at a loss to explain.  Can someone shine the light on the
right path to follow?

-- Ken E.