[mythtv-users] ramfs for mysql

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 11:06:35 UTC 2012

On 5 January 2012 02:21, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 1/4/2012 21:16, Phil Bridges wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Josu Lazkano<josu.lazkano at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks again, I started a new page on the wiki: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Tmpfs
>>>
>>> I will continue editing, feel free to add or modify the content. I am
>>> not english speaker/writer, so I could make some mistakes.
>>>
>>> I try it on LiveTV and it is much faster.
>>>
>> Apparently, somebody felt that wiki page wasn't needed.
>
> More correctly, someone felt that the wiki can be considered official
> documentation, and official documentation should not suggest doing
> something so dangerous and unnecessary as placing MySQL on a RAMFS.

i disagree.
there is both http://www.mythtv.org/docs/, and http://wiki.mythtv.org/.
by wiki's very nature, it is publicly editable, and users should know this.

while it maybe a bible for alot of users, my personal approach on this
is there should be a disclaimer box at the top of the 'ramfs' page
stating that it is not recommended and to be used for certain
scenarios only, at the users own risk.
i'd far rather have documentation like that, than none at all; having
to work it out for myself and likely overlook something - like whether
to use cp or rsync. atleast the wiki can be edited for
different/better options, as if i stumbled on the OP's blog, then i'd
be using CP, instead of the better rsync command (as generally agreed
in this thread)

for example, what if i have a 40minute UPS on my BE?
could i not quite happily run ramfs, and should power be lost, then a
shutdown script to dump ramfs to NV storage be acceptable?

for clarity, i consider the http://www.mythtv.org/docs/ as official
documentation. the wiki is a communal document that can have small
inaccuracies, or only applicable for certain setups.