[mythtv-users] warning for anyone with western digital green drives

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Thu Jan 5 23:02:26 UTC 2012

On 12-01-05 03:52 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:

> And there you will note that #3 under ways to properly configure it is
> to use the wdidle3 utility. So even WD considers that a proper way to
> configure your system.

Yup.  If only WD would ship their drives with this already configured
to a more reasonable value than 8 seconds.  Or even better, if perhaps
WD would instead follow the ATA standards for these things and not
use a hacky method for controlling the advanced power management features.

I set all of my WD "green" monsters for a 30-second "idle3" timeout.
It's a small nuisance that requires booting from a DOS floppy or USB-stick,
but it only has to be done once after purchase and then things are fine.

Cheers