[mythtv-users] HDMI, nvidia, no Audio, no Video and no EDID, 37pfl8404

Frank Hartmann soundart at gmx.net
Mon Jan 9 22:19:04 UTC 2012

Frank Hartmann <soundart at gmx.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> a week ago Audio and Video playback stopped while watching a
> recording. The TV said either "No video" or "invalid video" My problem
> is: I did not get both back after a week!

> The problem seems to be that the I2C read-out of the EDID data from the TV fails:
> In the Xorg.0.log is often total failure "invalid EDID header" or
> sometimes(like now):
>
> [    31.445] (WW) NVIDIA(0): The EDID for Philips FTV (DFP-1) contradicts itself: mode
> [    31.445] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     "1920x1080" is specified in the EDID; however, the EDID's
> [    31.445] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     valid VertRefresh range (48.000-62.000 Hz) would exclude
> [    31.445] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     this mode's VertRefresh (24.0 Hz); ignoring VertRefresh
> [    31.445] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     check for mode "1920x1080".
>
> I have hacked the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and added some video timings And
> some Options, found by googling.

> Success seems to be related to the 'boot-order': I have more often video
> if the TV starts after I boot the mythbackend.
>
> If by chance anyone reading this has a similar TV (and probably nvidia)
> could send me the EDID info. Reading this data is doable via
> nvidia-setting->DFP-x->Aquire EDID
>
> I would like to get some general guidance howto handle this situation. I
> can easily login into the machine via ssh, but controlling X seems quite
> hard/impossible: How to I do something like xrandr (for trying video
> modes) if all I have is an ssh access?

Just found this, which matches quite well:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Nvidia-cards_and_no_picture_when_box_is_on_before_the_TV

However, today most of the times I had no picture at all if the TV is
connected. Of course the TV works with a Sat-Tuner and the mythbackend
works with a normal monitor...

Niad is in the same hell as me:

No solution there either uptonow.

I notice that the device name change sometimes: Today I was fighting
with DFP-0, in the log quoted above it was DFP-1.

My workflow has improved a bit: I have now x11vnc running 'inside' the
Xsession. So I can start nvidia-settings and xrandr, but changing the
video mode resultet only in a short flicker followed by 'no signal'

Any ideas or proven good links howto continue?

aaaaaarghh
        Frank