[mythtv-users] warning for anyone with western digital green drives

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Thu Jan 12 18:25:47 UTC 2012

On 1/12/12 10:15 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 12-01-11 04:29 PM, Warpme wrote:
>> Hi,
> Hi,
>
>> -allocate 32MB or more for MySQL query cache (and other parameters
>> accordingly to http://mysqltuner.pl/)
> Would you still recommend increasing the query cache from the 16MB that
> it seems to be defaulting to on Ubuntu:
>
> $ grep query_cache /etc/mysql/my.cnf
> query_cache_limit	= 1M
> query_cache_size        = 16M
>
> to 32MB even if the cache hit is 82.5%:
>
> [OK] Query cache efficiency: 82.5% (244K cached / 296K selects)
>
> ?
>
> My reschedules are still in the 18-23s range although perhaps more
> consistently near 18s rather than the quite inconsistent low 20s to as
> high as a few hundred seconds periodically.
>
> I guess I will observe over time a bit longer.  I'd love to get down
> into the single digits of seconds as you have done.  Given that I've
> already put mysql's "tmpdir" on tmpfs I might be at that CPU bound point
> given that I do only have a Celeron @ 2.4GHz.
>
> Cheers,
> b.

Brian,

I think Your issue definitely lays in CPU. In my case going from D326
(3,46G) to AMD235E (2x2,7G) reduces schedules from 40-60sec to 15-20sec.
(also power from 65W to 45W).

BTW: Shame on me as I put my SSD-related post in wrong thread (went to
"warning for anyone with western digital green drives" but should go to
"my experience with myth on a solid state drive").
All this because I moved desktop from HDD to SSD and have some quirks.
Now awaiting for new post in "my experience with myth on a solid state
drive" for getting valid thread ID :-(

br