[mythtv-users] Anybody had any luck with Gentoo/lirc-0.9.0/MCE remotes?

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 02:19:36 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Robert Longbottom
> <rongblor at googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> I had a similar pain of a time getting my MCE remote to work with
>>> lirc-0.9.0 on kernel 2.6.38 but I did eventually manage to get it
>>> working. It was some time ago and I can't remember exactly what
>>> eventually fixed it, but one thing that I have in my local start scripts is
>>>
>>> echo "rc-6" > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
>>>
>>> I think this might have been the key.
>>>
>>> Robert.
>>
>> Ah, and I've just found my notes from when I build my frontend box.
>>
>> ##
>> # Remote Control
>> ##
>> Lirc 0.9.0 + devinput, (set LIRC_DEVICES="devinput" in make.conf)
>> need mceusb module from kernel
>> need to set protocol = RC-6 in /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
>> need to run lirc, pointing at the /dev/input/eventx
>> need the lirc.devinput.conf
>> need .lircrc for mythtv
>>
>> Robert.
>>

> Thanks for the response.  What do you have as your protocols?  My file reads:
> [rc-6] [lirc]
>
> It's very odd - irw shows me nothing, but pressing the arrow buttons
> gives me the keyboard arrow keys on my main console.  The other
> buttons do nothing.  It's as if it thinks my remote is a keyboard,
> which would be fine *if* it recognized button presses.  irrecord
> doesn't detect anything, either.

OK - I've fiddled with stuff, and come up with the correct responses
in irw - but now I see the arrows keys (and a couple of others) twice
- once through lirc, and once as keystrokes (e.g., [A through [D for
the arrows).  Also, Myth still only sees the arrow keys.  I have Myth
pointing to /dev/lircd, and I have this in /dev:

crw------- 1 root root 249, 0 Jan 13 16:09 /dev/lirc0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     19 Jan 13 21:10 /dev/lircd -> /var/run/lirc/lircd

So close!