[mythtv-users] Streaming to Android with PS3 Media Server

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 07:39:56 UTC 2012

My recordings are in .mpg files from DVB-T transmissions. I've been trying
to figure out how to play these on my Samsung Galaxy S II mobile phone over
my home WiFi network without transcoding them to a format specific to the
mobile. I thought the PS3 media Server solution sounded promising as it
transcodes on the fly -
http://otmanix.de/english/2009/05/13/java-ps3-media-server-for-dummies-chapter-1-introduction/

I can see the list of recordings on my mobile but I don't seem to get
anything other than "Unsupported file format" errors when I try to play
one. So I assume I don't have the transcoding set up properly. Has anyone
got any experience of doing this with MythTV recordings to a mobile phone?
Or is there an easier way?