[mythtv-users] UK: Problems tuning Hauppauge NOVA-T500 (DSO related?)

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Jan 16 13:15:28 UTC 2012

On 16/01/12 11:53, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 16/01/12 10:11, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> On 15/01/12 23:15, John Pilkington wrote:
>>>
>>> You shouldn't need to use anything outside mythtvsetup to populate the
>>> channels.  At the New Year I was able to tune 4 of the 5 SD muxes there;
>>> I think the 5th is very low power at present.  You may see it if you use
>>> the 'link transports' option in the Channel scanner.  it's the one with
>>> Film 4.
>>>
>>> Muxes are on 522, 498, 554 and 722 MHz and the TIDs are 4173, 8194,
>>> 12290 and 20544 - but there's no way that I know of to enter these
>>> without poking the database directly.
>>>
>> There's always the in-built transport editor. One might even say it was designed
>> for that job :)
>>
> Yes:  I should have been more careful.  Enter the frequencies there and
> let the TIDs be found by the scan;  I put in the comment about that
> because of the problems I had with my HD tuner.  For that the scan found
> the NETIDs and TIDs but _didn't_ put them into the database.
> HD recordings then failed.
>
> Use transport editor to define the frequency of one or more muxes as
> quoted above for Sandy Heath or found from eg
>
> http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=TL204494
>
> Then: Delete all dvb-t channels.  Scan all known transports with 'link
> transports' enabled; after that examine transports again and delete any
> for which no ID info has appeared.  Repeat until you have five SD
> transports and no duplicate channels.
>
> For HD (with a DVB-T capable tuner) see the start and end of this thread:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/499078#499078
>
> John P

More second thoughts :-(

I do the scans with 'All' modes of DVB-T transmission selected.

I have an af9013-based KWorld tuner that doesn't always give the
expected Freeview channel numbers:  some are sometimes above 25000.   I
think this is a consequence of PID filtering within the tuner.  The
device wiki recently said that can be disabled but I haven't yet managed
to do so; maybe I need a kernel module update.  Going round the scanning
loop again eventually gives numbers in the right 1 to 800 range.

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Kworld_UB499-2T

And I don't have a way of getting HD from a DVB-T device:  I meant DVB-T2.

John P