[mythtv-users] MythTV experience with Intel Sandy Bridge graphics

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 03:16:26 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 05:39:05PM -0600, Keith Pyle wrote:
> They haven't committed the fix yet, but we picked up the proposed
> patch by following the bug report updates and the mesa-dev mailing
> list.  The patch can be seen here
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2012-January/017412.html
> (Because of indenting changes, it looks like more than it really
> is.  The effective change is one line to exit the function if the
> pointer "intel" is null.)  Until the patch is released for your
> distribution, you'll need to manually patch
> mesa/drivers/dri/intel/intel_screen.c as shown at the above link.
>
> If you need the mesa source, it can be obtained at
> git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/mesa

Thank you for posting that link.  I saw that discussion thread, but
wasn't sure whether or not it was the right one.

Using that patch, I was able to rebuild the mesa package for my
distro (centos6, using elrepo-testing repository).  I only tested
briefly, but so far my experience is the same as what you originally
posted: defect-free, smooth playback (as far as I can tell anyway).

How long have you been running with this setup?  I've only been
testing SNB in general for a couple days, and only got the mesa
patch going about an hour ago.  But I am very encouraged by what
I've seen and your report.  I've been waiting for SNB graphics on
Linux to "just work" for quite a while now.  If I ignore the need to
patch and rebuild mesa, looks like we might be there.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that, going forward, everything
continues to work as well as my nvidia/vdpau-based frontend!

Thanks again!
Matt