[mythtv-users] rip DVD (I own) to storage with menus

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 18:38:14 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I understand that mkv files (which h264 is often packaged in) supports
>> menus and chapters.
>>
>> However I have not seen any real files which achieve this. May be a project?
>
> That's what I thought, too, but when I looked into it some months back
> this support was much more limited than what you typically see in a
> dvd menu and not well supported by applications that read mkv.  At
> least, I couldn't find a way to make it work.  YMMV.

Actually after posting I checked out the wikipedia mkv page, which
claims menuing "seems to have been abandoned"

Actually I find the menus on DVDs annoying in the extreme, but it
would be nice, in those cases where the extras are worth watching, to
be able to have a basic menu in mythvideo to play "main feature"
"making of" etc...