[mythtv-users] rip DVD (I own) to storage with menus

Joey Morris rjmorris at nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 19 01:00:09 UTC 2012

"Mark D. Montgomery II" <techiem2 at techiem2.net> wrote on Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 04:15:39PM -0500:
> Personally I just use dvdbackup to dump mine to a unencrypted dvd
> filesystem, since most of my devices seem to be able to play those
> fine and I'm not currently worried about space usage.

Does dvdbackup really produce an unencrypted filesystem? I know very
little about all this, so I could easily be wrong, but I thought the
files in the resulting VIDEO_TS directory would still be encrypted,
just as if you had ripped an ISO.

I tried to test this by moving my VIDEO_TS directories and ISOs from
an NFS-mounted directory to a storage group. Much to my surprise,
mythfrontend played them. libdvdread wrote messages to the log stating
that encrypted DVD support was unavailable, but then it proceeded to
play them anyway. This is 0.24.1-fixes. I even uninstalled libdvdcss2
and deleted my .dvdcss directory, and it still worked. So does that
imply that my files are unencrypted, or is MythTV now able to play
encrypted ISOs and VIDEO_TS directories over storage groups? Is there
a definitive way I can tell whether my files are encrypted?