[mythtv-users] Vaapi use on Sandy Bridge

william otten williammotten at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 17:07:31 UTC 2012

I'm just getting started in understanding the VAAPI use in Mythtv and have
a couple questions concerning it's use. I have read through countless posts
and basically understand that VAAPI isn't complete but should be usable
without deinterlacing. I'm currently using a core i5 2405S and an Intel
DH67CFB3 motherboard itx and Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit via Mythbuntu with fixes.
I setup a playback profile for VAAPI using VAAPI Acceleration for the
decoder, Openglvaapi for the render and opengl2 for the osd render and none
for deinterlacing. When I try to play a tv recording either 720 or 1080p, I
hear audio for a second then I get a blank screen then Mythtv restarts. I
have attached the frontend log but I don't see any error when the problem
happens. Now a bit of history. I followed this post:

Which follows an XBMC post to get an Ubuntu system working with VAAPI. The
user says he has a working mythtv .25 with VAAPI (The user has been very
helpful). I followed the steps which were pretty simple:
Install
sudo apt-get install libbluray1 i965-va-driver vainfo libmad0
gtk2-engines-pixbuf
Mythtv .25

So my questions:
My attempt at get VAAPI working has failed...what is the problem / error in
Mythtv?
Does Ubuntu 11.10 come with all the needed software to support VAAPI?
Is there a way other than the VAAPI selection in Mythtv to know if VAAPI is
being used?
Any advice would be appreciated.