[mythtv-users] Program auto-expired within 30 seconds of recording

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jan 28 18:10:17 UTC 2012

On 01/28/2012 12:54 PM, Frank Hartmann wrote:
> "Michael T. Dean"<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>  writes:

>>> the same happened here. It was not one of my normal regular expression
>>> based recordings, but a single recording of a movie.
>>>
>>> My current theorie is, that some priorities are assigned to different
>>> type of recordings somewhere. And that the deletion of records is
>>> based on a score calculated by the recordings age and priority.
>>>
>>> After some clicking I found something like "delate oldest" records
>>> first. It did not happen since, but I did not record something that way
>>> either.
>>>
>>> Sorry for the vague menue descriptions, I do not have English as menu
>>> language.
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/439021#439021
>> and
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/448946#448946
>>
>> Therefore, auto-expired is /not/ a factor when determining where to
>> write new recordings.  Because auto-expire is done on a per-filesystem
>> basis, and may only choose from shows you have marked to allow
>> auto-expire, and is performed such that the first shows expired are
>> Deleted recordings, then Live TV recordings, then normal recordings
>> based on the value you've selected for:
>>
>> Auto-Expire method
>> - Oldest show first
>> - Lowest priority first
>> - Weighted time/priority combination
>> Method used to determine which recorded shows to delete first. LiveTV
>> recordings will always expire before normal recordings.
>>
>> but in such a way that if you enable:
>>
>> Watched before unwatched
>> If enabled, programs that have been marked as watched will be expired
>> before programs that have not been watched.
>>
>> shows marked as Watched are sorted using the specified Auto-Expire
>> method and will all be expired before shows not marked as
>> Watched--regardless of the expiration priority determined through the
>> Auto-Expire method (i.e. if it's marked as Watched, a recording with a
>> very low Auto-Expire "priority" will be deleted before an unwatched
>> recording with a very high Auto-Expire "priority").
>>
>> It's quite possible there was nothing else on that particular file
>> system that MythTV could expire, or that some factor--such as Watched
>> status--meant that the recording was supposed to expire first.
>>
>> Note, also, the setting:
>>
>> Automatically mark a recording as watched
>> If enabled, when you exit near the end of a recording it will be marked
>> as watched. The automatic detection is not foolproof, so do not enable
>> this setting if you don't want an unwatched recording marked as watched.
>>
>> (which means that a recording that you've never actually watched could
>> be marked as watched if you open it, then jump to "near" the end, then
>> exit playback).
>>
>> Note that the ticket on which I posted those replies is closed, so
>> please do not add anything to that ticket.  If you think there's a
> [...]

I thought you had fixed the issues you saw by setting an appropriate
"Auto-Expire method"?

I was trying to give more information to R KANNAN to help him determine
if it is--like you suggested--an inappropriate choice of "Auto-Expire
method" causing it to expire new things.  (If you want a more time-based
expiry, you need to select a time-based priority.)

Anyway, as for logs, they really /must/ have -v file,extra , and,
really, it needs to be a full log from a session of running
mythbackend--not just an excerpt.

Mike