[mythtv-users] MythicalLibrarian, symlinks and Myth: Will this work or will Myth lose its mind?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 19:07:01 UTC 2012

I've been in the process of collapsing my Myth infrastructure back to a
single BE that contains all recordings and tuners. The reason for this has
been that many of the MythTV add-ons that I want to use don't support
recordings in multiple locations. One such add-on is MythicalLibrarian.
More info is available at
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian but the gist is, ML
takes shows that are recorded, figures out what show and episode they are,
moves the recording to a hierarchy based on that information (to a
../Episodes folder), and leaves a symlink behind for Myth to use.

I've run into an issue, however... My BE's recordings live on a samba/cifs
share served up by a Windows 2008 server. Apparently CIFS mounts don't
support symlinks, so while ML has been sucessful at moving the recording to
../Episodes,it can't create a symlink at the root of the recordings
directory, so that show disappears from Myth.

I think I've come up with a solution, but I was wondering if it will cause
issues. My old recording directory is /var/lib/mythtv/recordings. It's a
local 50GB partition running EXT3, I believe. I have found using
mythlink.plthat I can create symlinks in that folder that will point
to the
destination CIFS share of /var/lib/mythtv/recordings3 (Don't ask where
recordings2 went, it's a long story). So, I could repoint my storage group
to recordings, have ML move the files to recordings3/Episodes, and leave
symlinks behind. My question is, what kind of weird side effects would I
run into? I've already told the BE to follow symbolic links when deleting
files, so that shouldn't be an issue. I guess my biggest concern would be
with the reported space available to myth. My /recordings3 folder is a 2TB
mount, while /recordings is only 50GB. I have Myth set to leave 1GB free at
all times. How will Myth calculate its available storage? Is it smart
enough to see the true destination's space used? Or will it always think
there is 50GB free, or some other weird scenario that I haven't thought of
yet?

As always, thanks in advance.