[mythtv-users] hdpvr.ko unknown symbol (compiling from linuxtv.org)

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Mon Jul 2 15:56:52 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Michelle Dupuis <mdupuis at ocg.ca> wrote:
> Nope - that didn't do it.
>
> I see the warning during compile:
> WARNING: "__video_register_device" [/usr/src/hdpvr-driver/media_build/v4l/hdpvr.ko] undefined!
>
> which I suspect means the v4l2-dev.c is not being compiled.  As suggested in the wiki, I set all =m to =n other than the HDPVR, but I suspect that is no longer good advice.  Some other CONFIG option has to be set to m/y but it's beyond me to figure out which...

Ugh, yeah you cannot really do that.  The V4L core modules get out of
sync because you end up with a combination of core modules from the
existing kernel but individual device drivers from the new kernel.  It
works in rare cases where there are no changes to the core between
what you currently have and what's in the media_build tree, but that
is by far the exception rather than the rule.

Your bet is to just use the defaults, and don't try to over-optimize.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com