[mythtv-users] Recommended distro?

Cecil Watson knoppmyth at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 19:03:05 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 5:22 AM, David Litchman <david.litchman at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm looking into switching my PC-DVR setup over to MythTV.  It looks like
> there are three main precompiled distros and I'm wondering if any one of
> them comes more highly-recommended than any of the others?

LinHES. LinHES is the Linux Home Entertainment System formerly KnoppMyth.
It was the first distro geared towards making a Linux/MythTV setup as easy
as possible.

> Perhaps a little background is in order.  For many years I used BeyondTV
> with an analog SDTV tuner, and all was good.  Then Comcast went
> digital-only, but in clear QAM so I could still use BeyondTV with a digital
> tuner, though channel listings were a bit of a pain to get working.  THEN,
> Comcast started encrypting everything but broadcast channels.  My only
> option at that point was to get a Ceton InfiniTV and a Cablecard.
>  Unfortunately at the time the only DVR software that would support that
> tuner was Windows Media Center. I've never been particularly happy with
> WMC, but it worked well enough most of the time.  But now I'm just about
> fed up with it and want to make a change.  Evidently someone created a
> workaround for SageTV to work with the Ceton but that software has been
> gobbled up by Google and is currently in limbo.  After doing some research
> it looks like the latest build of MythTV supports the Ceton, is that
> correct?  I don't currently have a Linux install on my network so I'm
> looking for an all-in-one Linux/MythTV distro.  I don't have a lot of Linux
> experience but I am an IT professional and I'm not afraid to "get my hands
> dirty" so to speak.
>
> The Ceton InfiniTV is supported out the box with LinHES. If installed in
the sytem, the Ceton will be given the IP of 192.168.200.254. In order to
configure, just install chromium (sudo pacman -Sy chromium) and navigate to
192.168.200.254. Setup your cable card and configure MythTV.

--
Enjoy the day,

Cecil