[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - How many People have Video libraries over 8TB?

Alexander Fisher alex at alexfisher.me.uk
Fri Jul 6 16:42:56 UTC 2012

On 6 July 2012 17:19, Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
> and where (roughly) are you located.
>
> I've got 13TB and am in Kent, UK.

Have you got that backed up to another 13TB stored on a different machine?
It'd be a shame if you lost it.  It must have taken you *ages* to build. [1]

I've currently got 96 DVD feature films ripped (no recompression) to
mkv and the median filesize (quickest type of average for me to work
out) is 4.5GB.
13GB would equate to around 3000 films!  I've got 4x2TB disks, but
only 4TB is usable.  It's currently configured as a 3 disk RAID5 with
a hot spare, but I hope to get a 5th drive soon so that I can setup a
proper backup with the hot spare being re-purposed as a disk in the
backup machine.  Only then will I feel comfortable spending the hours
required to rip all my remaining DVD collection.

Kind Regards,
Alex

[1] - Rereading that, it sounds like a mafia style threat.  I'm not
really planning on stealing your system. :)