[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - How many People have Video libraries over 8TB?

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 6 21:11:21 UTC 2012

On 6 July 2012 21:17, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Another Sillyname wrote:
>
>>  > Yes, everyone does it, but in the UK there is no 'fair use' provision
>> that
>>>
>>>  allows you to format shift from DVD/BR to anything else, nor to allow
>>> you to
>>>  keep TV recordings beyond a reasonable time for timeshifting (and even
>>> that
>>
>>  > isn't actually allowed in law, just something that's officially
>> ignored).
>

>> I'd challenge the basis of your presumption, all my recordings are
>> only for personal usage and as I have all the physical BR and or DVDs
>> for anything in the library that was produced from that medium I'm not
>> concerned.
>

> I'm not going to get into an argument, but you really ought to learn a bit
> about some basic laws. You have breached the copyright in the disks you have
> ripped and the TV programs you have kept - and there is not, under UK law,
> any exemption that allows you to do that for personal use. However, there is
> a distinction in that once you start making any profit from such action then
> it now* becomes a criminal rather than civil offence.
>
> * I forget the name of the law that made it so, but it's only in the last
> year or two.
>
> In the same way, it is still illegal in the UK to rip CDs to your computer
> or portable player.
>
> That is the law here as it stands - whether you like it or not, and whether
> you accept it or not.
>

> As I say, everyone does it, and in practice the chances of getting noticed
> are so slim as to not be worth bothering about. However, publicly announcing
> it (especially given the size of your collection) might not be the most
> sensible idea.
>
> As a secondary thing, it's the sort of thing that certain types of people
> would like to pick up on and use as justification for ever more restrictive
> copy protection, and tighter laws to make it illegal to try and bypass those
> restrictions. To some people, those 13TB represent a lot of material that
> they would rather you paid for again (and again, and again). In the case of
> TV, the rights holders have only licensed it for the one or two broadcasts -
> and will want paying again if it's re-shown at a later date. Also, by
> watching a recording, it means you won't buy the DVD (lost sales) or watch a
> later retransmission (lost advertising revenue).
>
> We are quite lucky here to have a lot of unencrypted, free to air, and
> decent quality TV. There are a lot of people who see that as wrong - and
> would be more than happy to encrypt everything so they can sell you more
> advertising and/or access to those encrypted programs.
>

> So, as I say, everyone does it - but don't shout about it ;)
>

> --
> Simon Hobson
>
> Visit http://www.magpiesnestpublishing.co.uk/ for books by acclaimed
> [...]

Simon

You really shouldn't make assumptions without asking questions.

1.  The law you are referring to is currently being revised after the
Hargreaves Report

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/ipreview-finalreport.pdf

2.  The law as it stands (Copyright, Designs and Patents Act (1988))
make it legal to copy for time shifting purposes.  Therefore if
recordings have been used for that purpose there is a fair use
argument.

3.  I agree that there are many vested interests who would wish to
charge for all content, that's why I don't subscribe to Sky or indeed
buy any Murdoch newspapers.

4.  If you wanted to make a point discretely you could have done so in
a private message offlist and not drawn attention to the issue,
instead you chose to make an opening statement onlist that what I was
doing was illegal.

As I've said all the BR and DVD material I have I still have the
physical media for, so next time you want to make a statement onlist
inferring I'm a pirate take the time to ask questions and get your
facts straight first.

I'll not respond to any further comments about this onlist, if you
want to continue offlist I'm happy to do so.