[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - How many People have Video libraries over 8TB?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Jul 7 07:43:13 UTC 2012

Another Sillyname wrote:

>1.  The law you are referring to is currently being revised after the
>Hargreaves Report

But hasn't changed, and there's a lot of argument to go before the
"Google Review" suggestions make it into law. Not least reconciling
some of the proposals which are directly incompatible with
international obligations (such as the Berne Convention on copyright,
WIPO rules, and so on).

>2.  The law as it stands (Copyright, Designs and Patents Act (1988))
>make it legal to copy for time shifting purposes.  Therefore if
>recordings have been used for that purpose there is a fair use
>argument.

But only for time shifting - not for permanent collection.
I stand corrected that it is in the law, not just a convention. That
does not alter the fact that building up a library of recorded TV is
not time shifting and not covered by section 70.

>4.  If you wanted to make a point discretely you could have done so in
>a private message offlist and not drawn attention to the issue,
>instead you chose to make an opening statement onlist that what I was
>doing was illegal.

It is - I suggested shouting about it might not be the wisest course of action.

>As I've said all the BR and DVD material I have I still have the
>physical media for, so next time you want to make a statement onlist
>inferring I'm a pirate

I never, ever called you a pirate - but others would. FWIW, I
consider all this to be "fair use" (though perhaps not the long term
collection of TV). I think you will find that very very few (if any)
of your disks has licensing terms which allow you to make copies -
therefore all your copies are not lawful.

>  take the time to ask questions and get your
>facts straight first.

I believe I have them straight - apart from the relatively minor
correction about time shifting.

>I'll not respond to any further comments about this onlist, if you
>want to continue offlist I'm happy to do so.

Fair enough. I don't want to get into an argument either, but I don't
think it's a good idea having a competition for who's got the biggest
unlawful media collection in public. That comment was also aimed at
others, not just you.

MythTv has already appeared in news media, described as a tool for
pirates, lets not give that sort of person more ammunition.

You don't agree with me - fine, lets leave it at that.

--
Simon Hobson