[mythtv-users] Seagate Lockups (was libraries over 8TB)

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Jul 7 17:28:37 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Alexander Fisher" <alex at alexfisher.me.uk>

> I've also had some odd behavior from one of my non-enterprise Seagate
> drives. It's firmware locked up the other day, the drive not coming
> back without a power cycle.

I believe you had the same problem that I've had on 5 different Seagates
over the last 4 years:

There's a black hole somewhere on the drive.  If you never touch it, the drive
works just fine.  But the second you even read one of those sectors, the
drive adapter falls off line, and Linux can't touch it anymore, and it doesn't
recover until you power the drive off.  Once you do, everything's fine until
you hit that spot again.

Sound familiar?

Cheers,
-- jra