[mythtv-users] Seagate Lockups (was libraries over 8TB)

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Jul 7 18:05:46 UTC 2012

Jay Ashworth wrote:

>There's a black hole somewhere on the drive.  If you never touch it, the drive
>works just fine.  But the second you even read one of those sectors, the
>drive adapter falls off line, and Linux can't touch it anymore, and it doesn't
>recover until you power the drive off.  Once you do, everything's fine until
>you hit that spot again.

I've got one at work like that. I thought I'd try recovering it with
dd rescue - partly for the experience. Didn't take long to give up on
it !

Also, I'm not 100% certain, but I think it also managed to lock up
the host controller as well. I found that pulling the power cable to
the drive and reconnecting it didn't bring it back to life - while
power cycling the whole machine did. So I put it on an external USB
adapter so I could power cycle the drive & controller without power
cycling the machine as well.

Enough to put you off a Seagate drive. Any half decent firmware would
report an error and carry on - leaving the OS to decide how to deal
with it.

--
Simon Hobson