[mythtv-users] Recommended distro?

Cecil Watson knoppmyth at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 23:38:44 UTC 2012

> Maybe I don't understand 'appliances' - I only gave it a go because I had
> some issues with my latest MythBuntu and thought I'd try an alternative.
> However I've always been perplexed as to why it doesn't permit a partition
> install.

Define "partition install". When LinHES gets installed, it creates 3
partitions.

> I presume it expects you to copy music/photos/videos onto the system after
> installation. Personally I would never mix my data with the OS. Having
> separate partitions for music/photos/videos/tv is very conveneint for many
> reasons. Are 'appliances' never reinstalled/backed-up/get corrupted ?

LinHES doesn't mix your data and the OS. By default, all your data goes on
a separate partition (/myth).

> IMO LinHES either needs 2 disks (1 OS, 1 for partitioned data) or you have
> to live with everything on a single, massive partition. That's certainly
> something that would influence my choice of distro!
>
> Again, LinHES has never used a single partition for everything. It simply
doesn't make sense. For most of it's history, KnoppMyth never used a single
partition for everything. I don't know where you are getting for
information from but it is wrong.

> And it seems so unnecessary. I can't see a reason for it. IMO allowing a
> (standard) partition install would only increase its usage/popularity, even
> if only for trials - I certainly can't be bothered to set up a VM just to
> try it out....

See above.

--
Enjoy the day,