[mythtv-users] how to make idle frontend exit?

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Mon Jul 9 20:21:44 UTC 2012

Petr Stehlik wrote:
> Petr Stehlik píše v Ne 08. 07. 2012 v 13:39 +0200:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> in the new 0.25 mythfrontend there's an idle timer.
>
> Michael and Thomas, thank you for your suggestions that are good for
> MythTV < 0.25. I used to be using similar screensaver based system at
> that time.

I'm using my method in 0.25.

> Now, in the new v0.25 release (as I explicitly mentioned in my first
> mail) there is a complete support for "idling". Mythfrontend watches
> user activity and when it's idle its countdown timer starts. And when it
> reaches zero it automagically turns the screen off.

I wasn't aware of that new function. I just looked at it and it doesn't
seem to do what you want. In fact, it doesn't seem to do anything on a
frontend only machine apart from writing something in mythfrontend.log.
I set it to 1 minute and the screen stayed unchanged after 7 minutes
now. I don't want to test it on my FE/BE right now as it is recording.

What is it supposed to do? Should it not add a value to the exit code
when running "mythshutdown -s" if the frontend is idle? Then you should
look into the mythtv-setup and change the "ServerHaltCommand".

> That is great, but I don't want to save just the screen so I am
> searching for a way to modify the default behavior of the new 0.25 idle
> feature.

So what's wrong with my "workaround"? It does exactly what you want. The
only difference is that you set the time in xscreensaver and not in
mythfrontend.

Thomas