[mythtv-users] how to make idle frontend exit?

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Tue Jul 10 14:33:12 UTC 2012

On 10/07/2012 9:05 PM, Jonatan Lindblad wrote:
> On 2012-07-10 12:22, Petr Stehlik wrote:
>> Michael Watson píše v Út 10. 07. 2012 v 09:14 +1000:
>>>  From my playing with the new "frontend idle" system, all it does it
>>> dull the screen, and place a message on the screen saying that it is
>>> idle.
>>
>> yes, and that's what I want to change.
>>
>>> I believe that is suppose to use the Backend Sleep command to
>>> shutdown the frontend
>>
>> I didn't know about Backend Sleep command. Will check it out. But my
>> current setup works the way that whenever frontend exits or is killed
>> the frontend goes to sleep automatically. I don't need backend to
>> interfere in this.
>>
>>> but I found it problematic, it would shut down
>>> the system immediately when playback of a recording/video had finished,
>>> shutdown when listening to music.
>>
>> really? Then it's implemented incorrectly. I would think that when I
>> start a movie or a music it should play until the end (of movie or a
>> music queue) and THEN it should start measuring the user inactivity.
>>
>> IOW, shutting down the system immediately when playback finished or
>> during a music plays is totally unacceptable.
>
> Sounds like http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10467 which was closed
> as fixed almost 4 months ago.
>
> Which version are you using?

Would be approx 2 months ago, that i last played with the idle timer
stuff.  Currently running MythTV Version : v0.25.1-59-g61e7a0e

I had issues with it shutting down when system was clearly not idle,
within MythBrowser, within MythMusic, the instant a Video / Recorded TV
Playback was finished, within minutes of system starting up (with idle
time set to 30 minutes).

I keep my system upto date using Mythbuntu Repos - nightly builds, and
update 2-3 times a week.

I wrote my script to handle all the scenarios that I dont want my
machine shutting down on me, and works well for me.

Yes, it would be much better if it was integrated into the frontend
properly, and maybe some better docs on how the developer expects it to
work.