[mythtv-users] MythBackend Suddenly swamping CPU on system

Erik Hovland erik at hovland.org
Wed Jul 11 04:23:53 UTC 2012

Just to keep the link love going for this fix.

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 2:07 AM, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/01/2012 03:08 AM, Ben Kamen wrote:
>> Today it started swamping the CPU to 100% (AMD Phenom X4 640)...
>
> Seems to be caused by the leap second insertion which happened overnight
> (UTC).
>
> No reboot necessary if you do the following:
>
> $ date -s "`date`"
>
> In other words: set the date to today's date.

I spent the better part of 3 or 4 days trying to track down the horrendously
high CPU load of mythbackend. I tried the MySQL tuning. I checked, fixed,
analyzed and optimized MySQL. I stopped and started all of the
myth processes. Then I did the trick above. FIXED.

Hope anyone else searching around finds this post sooner then I did.

Erik Hovland
erik at hovland.org
http://hovland.org/