[mythtv-users] Changing locale and language to de_CH to make umlauts work

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Tue Jul 17 17:02:58 UTC 2012

Hi!

On 7/17/2012 9:04 AM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
> I had to change the grabber. I'm now using tv_grab_ch_search.
> Now I have problems with umlauts which aren't displayed correctly.
>
> I have changed the locales to de_CH.UTF-8. In Mythweb > Setting > MythTV
>> Settings Table I have changed for the media-server host the Country to
> CH and the language to de_CH.

I would suggest not using MythWeb to change those settings as IIRC there
is no validation of what you type in those settings pages.

If you could start mythfrontend you would most likely end up with the
default US English translation as we have no Swiss Standard German
translation (our German translation only has the "de" suffix and is made
by Florian Bittner who lives in Germany).

> Unfortunately I can't install mythfrontend because I have another
> program that depends on a new python version.

I guess you are using a package and it wants to install a different
Python version for the Python Bindings

> It keeps telling me:
> "No locale defaults file for de_CH, skipping".

That's normal and is no cause for concern... It simply means we don't
have a locale file for de_CH. The locale file specify the language,
default date formats, TV standards and a few other things based your
computer's locale.

For example this is the de_DE locale file:

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/locales/de_de.xml

Adding this file should not fix your problem (which is most likely a
character set issue) but if you do make one please submit it as a
translation ticket and we'll commit it.

> Do you have any idea what I could do to solve this problem?

Since you are not using MythFrontend are you looking at the program
guide using MythWeb and using which language (I don't currently have
easy access to the code so I can't check if we are always in UTF-8
regardless of language or if we're sometimes in another character set
(ISO-8859-1 for example...)).

Have a nice day!

Nicolas