[mythtv-users] Ubuntu 12.04 LTS auto login

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 04:36:20 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 12:22 AM, Monkey Pet <monkeypet at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > You don't want to be auto logging in as mythtv. In mythbuntu user
>> > mythtv runs the backend, and the user you created on install runs the
>> > frontend. You want to auto log in as that user.
>>
>> ok, so I figured out the system error issue and got that working, but
>> now with the wiki method the user logs in but instead of following
>> what is in the .xsession file with mythfrontend running, the standard
>> unity2d interface comes up.
>

> I think it will default to the last session logged in.  Try to login with
> the session you want selected.  Then the next autologin it should start that
> selected session. You might want to play with the autologin-session option
> in the lightdm.conf file.
>
> [SeatDefaults]
> autologin-guest=false
> autologin-user=username
> autologin-user-timeout=0
> autologin-session=lightdm-autologin
> user-session=Xsession
> greeter-session=unity-greeter
>

> Is there a reason why you are using a "custom session"?  Mine was because my
> frontend isn't a fast machine, so I used the Xsession to only start
> mythfrontend and fluxbox wm bypassing the cruft that comes with unity2d.
>
> If your machine is fast enough, just let it start unity2d and then have that
> autostart mythfrontend.

I got it working sans window manager like I had in 10.04 and using the
mythtv user. I have having to use lightdm and a window manager etc if
I don't have to and this way has always worked fine for me. I figured
I'd try the lightdm method with 12.04 since it *looked* almost as
clean, but it was being a PITA so I just got the way I wanted to do it
from the beginning working. (so far...)

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!