[mythtv-users] Hardware Setup Suggestions

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 14:44:04 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 2:44 AM, phrippenatthekrotz
<phrippenatthekrotz at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 22/07/12 16:03, Joseph Fry wrote:
>>
>> Server Hardware List
>>
>> Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini - $100
>> Power Supply - Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W - $90
>> Motherboard - Biostar TA760G M2+ - $ Already Own
>> CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Deneb 3.2Ghz Quad Core $ 90
>> Memory - Crucial Ballistix 4gb(2x2gb) DDR2 800 - $ Already Own
>> Hard Drives - Data - 2 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900 RPM - $ 240
>>                    System Drive - 1 250 GB Western Digital SATA - $
>> Already Own
>> Tuner - Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe $200
>>
>> Total Price $ 720
>>
>> Frontend Hardware List
>>
>> Case - XION HTPC XON-810PCB W/450W Power Supply - $60
>> Motherboard - ASRock 760GM-GS3 - $45
>> Video Card - ASUS ENG430 GeForce GT 430 1 GB Low Profile - $56
>> Processor - AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3Ghz Dual Core - $ 50
>> Memory - Crucial Ballistix sport 4Gb DDR3 1333 - $25
>> Remote - Rosewill Media Center Remote - $25
>> Hard Drive - None, will be network booted from server
>

> I concur with other assessments of netbooting... adds additional complexity
> and may make things harder to maintain/troubleshoot.
>
> I'm also not so sure that is a good case.  It is supposed to be very loud,
> and while you could replace the fans with something quieter, or run them at
> 5V... but still the case is not very well made from what I have read.  And
> it uses a proprietary power supply, which, if not built better than the
> case, may make things difficult for you down the road.
>
> If it were me, I'd spend a little more on the cases, and use a cheaper
> processor... VDPAU is going to do all the heavy lifting, no need for for
> anything powerful (oh and that processor doesn't include a heatsink at that
> price).  I'd wager that the $40 Sempron in retail box
> (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103888) would do
> just fine, and it's only a 45W processor, so likely use less power and
> generate less heat.  With the $20 savings (cpu and cooler) you could get a
> better case; this is a classic favorite:
> http://www.amazon.com/Antec-NSK2480-Microatx-Desktop-2x120mm/dp/B005J5VJXI/ref=sr_1_46?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1342934842&sr=1-46
> and you can get it for under $60 after shipping from someone there on
> amazon.
>
> Actually if it were me, I'd spend even more on the cases and get something
> like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112222
> and a good power supply.  They are the only two parts you might use for 10
> years, may as well buy ones that make you happy and will last.
>
> Good luck.

> I ll second Joseph suggestion of the  Antec-NSK2480 case. I have just
> completed a build using this case. Its well designed and so quiet you can
> barely hear it running.

I use the version of this case with the LCD screen for our living room
frontend (which has an Athlon x2 4200+ and a GT430 video card with a
small, quiet fan). It is very quiet, though I am using the stock cpu
fan and a standard antec power supply, both of which, upon close
inspection make all the noise, and quieter versions would make it even
more silent.

if you want to go retro:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204039
which looks adorable and has quiet good reviews.

many people have also mentioned this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173019
which apparently handles 60hz Advanced 2x(?). I have two ion systems
in two bedrooms here that work decently fine, though things that
require actual CPU speed like MythMusic and a large program guide, are
noticeably slower than on my 4200+.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!