[mythtv-users] 0.25 SQL CPU Load issues after optimisation

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Jul 23 17:39:28 UTC 2012

> >> That raises an important question that wouldn't have bothered us in the
> >> old analog days.
> >>
> >> In the digital world, channels are getting moved about on a fairly
> >> frequent basis which means we end up rescanning more than we used to.
> End
> >> result: CHANID for any particular channel can get changed from time to
> time.
> >>
> >> This means that "record on channel xxx" rules are likely not going to
> work
> >> after a scan. I have some of these, and they are a pain to try and
> figure
> >> out which channel they referred to, as they display as "Record on
> channel ."
> >> - that is, the history is gone.
> >

> > Yes, this is why "this channel" rules are generally discouraged--because
> > they require you to re-create the rules after any changes to your
> channels.
> >

> >> Is there any chance that in the future these rules won't be tied to
> CHANID
> >> but some other identifier like CALLSIGN, perhaps? (Remembering for
> those of
> >> you in the US that CALLSIGN can be a /lot/ longer than 5-6 characters
> >> elsewhere in the world.) Not necessarily CALLSIGN itself, perhaps, but a
> >> uniqueid indexed on CALLSIGN.
> >

> > FWIW, they are tied to callsign--the callsign of the channel referenced
> by
> > the given ID.  Note, also, that on rescanning it's /quite/ common for
> > callsign to change, too--so changing the code/DB to reference callsign or
> > station would only trade one problem for another, and you'd almost
> > definitely have to keep re-creating any "this channel" rules.
> >
> > "Any channel" rules work before and after rescans, regardless of what
> > changes.
> >
> > Mike

> The other side of the equation is that "record on any channel" can be
> a problem where you have multiple similar channels....
>
> For example in the UK you can have...
>
> BBC 1
> BBC 1 HD
> BBC 1 Scotland
> BBC 1 Wales
> BBC 1 Northern Ireland
> 301 Red Button Sports Event
>
> or
>
> Channel 4
> Channel 4 +1 - 1 Hour timeshift
> Channel 4 HD
> More 4
> More 4 +1
>
> In the BBC case 95% of the programming is identical but sometimes a
> sports event will only be covered on the regional channel, say for
> example a Scottish football game would only be on BBC Scotland.
>
> During the Olympics the BBC are also transmitting on an extra 20
> channels for Olympics coverage - No that's not a typo it's an extra 20
> channels.
>
> In the case of Channel 4 programmes shown on Channel 4 will be
> [...]
I use ONLY "record on any channel" schedules, and the majority of my shows
are shown in SD on 2 channels (analog cable, digital cable) and in HD on 2
other channels (HD antenna, HD digital cable).  Using recording priorities,
channel priorities, and other options, I can tweak things so that it always
records the highest quality recording (usually HD antenna) possible for a
particular show... if there are conflicts with a higher priority show, it
will bump down to the next highest, and so on.

The only time that you MIGHT see redundant recordings is if the PROGID and
description are different... or, sometimes the program details were not
available at last mythfilldatabase run, so it tries to record all of them
with generic show information.  I have eliminated that problem creating a
cron job to run mythfilldatabase --refresh-today at 5pm everyday (chosen
because the problem was only occurring with primetime shows).