[mythtv-users] Backup software

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Jul 24 01:44:49 UTC 2012

> I had a total hard drive failure on one of my mythtv slave backends.
> Fortunately, I have a stack of old ~200 G IDE drives that were pulled from
> my master backend some time back whilst I was upgrading to higher capacity
> SATA drives. Unfortunately, it's probably only a matter of time until the
> replacement fails as well as these disks are some years old. Obviously to
> recover, I had to reinstall mythbuntu, recompile my kernel (stv0900 driver
> works better with a patch), and setup my mythtv stuff.  The recompiling of
> the kernel is probably the most painful part as this backend is a Geode
> 1750Mhz CPU. It is not a fast process on that chip. Since this is a slave,
> it doesn't keep recordings or videos on it.
>
> Anyway, what I was thinking is since I do have a stack of harddrives, if
> there is software out there that could backup my existing linux setup on
> that slave to another harddrive? I don't think any of them are identical in
> size, so imaging would probably not work.  I've read a little about
> MondoRescue on this list, but that thread was from 2006! Does anyone do
> something similar?

Can't you compile your kernel on a faster machine... there is no rule that
says you can only compile on the target hardware.

In fact, depending upon the distro you use, you can probably set up your
own repository and have a nightly or weekly build run automatically so you
can keep your geode machine up to date.  Then you don't need to worry about
backing up the entire OS, you can rebuild it quickly if you had to.