[mythtv-users] CableCard Chain.

Chuck Peters cp at ccil.org
Wed Jul 25 02:19:00 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, and did someone mention that that certification would
> probably cost closer to a quarter million dollars, and that
> any change to the app requires re-certification (at a lower
> cost as long as the change is considered minor, but still
> real money).

Now that's reasoning that sounds like CableLabs creating artificial
barriers.   It would screw the whole concept of fixes, and that would
suck.  A quarter million dollars is by no means cheap but I'm not sure
if that is enough of a barrier to explain why only Tivo and WMC are
the only non cable company solutions.  Mark Shuttleworth and a lot of
other people could afford that.   What other explanations as to why we
don't have the proliferation of devices?

Will UbuntuTV be CableLabs certified and could working with Canonical
allow us, the Mythtv Community, to get DRM hell certified?

Chuck