[mythtv-users] CableCard Chain.

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Wed Jul 25 02:23:12 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:19 PM, Chuck Peters <cp at ccil.org> wrote:
> Now that's reasoning that sounds like CableLabs creating artificial
> barriers.   It would screw the whole concept of fixes, and that would
> suck.  A quarter million dollars is by no means cheap but I'm not sure
> if that is enough of a barrier to explain why only Tivo and WMC are
> the only non cable company solutions.  Mark Shuttleworth and a lot of
> other people could afford that.   What other explanations as to why we
> don't have the proliferation of devices?

Cable Labs is effectively the consortium of cable companies and legacy
set top box manufacturers.  Yes, the FCC delegated the actual
implementation of the regulation to the people who had a vested
interest in seeing it not be successful.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com