[mythtv-users] Time to get a SSD?

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Wed Jul 25 15:25:52 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
>> I usually don't post this type of stuff, but it looks like
>> to good of a deal to let past.
>>

>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239045&Tpk=20-239-045&nm_mc=EMC-GD072412&cm_mmc=EMC-GD072412-_-index-_-Item-_-20-239-045
>>
>> With Promo Code: EMCYTZT1951
>> Free Shipping!
>>
>> Starts at 12 PST (US)
>>
>> Final price - 79.99
>

> Almost jumped on it, then I realized that I have no need for a 120GB SSD, at
> least not for mythtv.  Gonna save a few bucks and get a 64GB drive, sure the
> price per GB is higher, but it's not like I'm using the SSD for much more
> than booting and storing my database.  I'll spend the difference with a
> couple sticks of extra RAM.
>
> I suppose I could use it for livetv, but I'm not sure if it would make any
> difference in channel changing or anything like that.  Commercial flagging
> and transcoding are both CPU bound, so I don't think it would make a
> difference there. Any advantages to having a larger SSD in a myth system
> that I'm overlooking?

That was pretty much my thoughts as well. I don't want to use
expensive storage for recordings (which I'd need a larger drive than
that anyway), and that drive is way too large for just a MythTV Mysql
DB.

Now if I was looking for a drive for my desktop or laptop, that would
probably work well.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos