[mythtv-users] corrupted video

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jul 28 13:45:03 UTC 2012

On 07/28/2012 09:02 AM, Teruel deCampo MD wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 17:12 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Are you certain your video drivers are properly installed and working?
>> Also, which graphics card and which drivers are you using?
>
> Mike,
>
> Nvidia GTX 580.
> I am using the nvdia  295.49 driver with the default settings.
>
> OS:Linux 3.1.10-1.16-desktop x86_64
> System:openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64)
> KDE:4.7.2 (4.7.2) "release 5"
>
> as windows effect I am using the cube.
>
> Mike, this does not happen all the time but only occasionally. To
> troubleshoot this problem may be very hard because I can not reproduce
> it. My question to the forum was just incase someone had it all the
> time and was able to trouble shoot it.
> Thxs for your reply.

I would suggest testing to see whether disabling Compiz (using some
other Window Manager--a non-Compositing WM, like Fluxbox or RatPoison or
...) and disabling the Composite extension in X prevents the problem
from occurring.  Both of these tend to cause issues.

Also, you may want to change your Playback Profile group to a VDPAU one,
if it's not already.  You can start with VDPAU Slim, which should work
fine, and can test the other 2 if you like, to see how they work with
your card/video.

Mike