[mythtv-users] Recording directly to RAID

Tapani Tarvainen mythtv at tapanitarvainen.fi
Sun Jul 29 04:53:58 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 05:01:56PM -0400, Joseph Fry (joe at thefrys.com) wrote:

> I am speaking in context of a Myth backend... if they have additional needs
> that warrant the increased bandwidth for a single read/write operation that
> is a different story altogether.

Yes. My apologies for rambling about more general RAID issues.

Probably not. Which is why I said:

> > What RAID gives you that no backup can is uptime: recording won't
> > stop because one disk dies. And that is really the only good reason
> > for considering RAID in a dedicated mythtv box.

And for that, the best option for four disks would probably
be two independent RAID1 packs, as originally suggested.

(RAID6 might slow it down so much it would begin to matter.)

> Very few, mythtv users need a HA (high availability) myth server.

I wouldn't call a single box with RAID disks a HA server...

Anyway, in my experience disks are the part that breaks most often
in computers, and I like the ease of replacing them in RAID.
But I admit wouldn't bother with mythtv - indeed I haven't,
as noted, I have a single disk in my mythtv server, I just balance
the load by using the file server as a 2nd disk.