[mythtv-users] Recording directly to RAID

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Jul 29 06:17:21 UTC 2012

On 7/28/2012 23:07, Marc Tousignant wrote:
> My server has 2 mirrored OS drives (mdadm), and 4 drives in RAID5 (LSI
> Controller w/ battery) for media storage.
> I have 7 potential HD capture sources, 3 of which could be multi captures
> due to multiplex sharing. Never have I come close to maxing out the write
> performance on the drives.

Now you're really not playing fair here.  The whole issue is one of seek
latency, with multiple writes per second per recording, multiple
recordings, and amplification due to freespace fragmentation.  When you
bring your battery-backed RAID controller into the equation, you're
instantly dropping those seek latencies by 5-6 orders of magnitude, and
giving yourself a good minute or two of buffer to linearize those writes.