[mythtv-users] Recording directly to RAID

Tapani Tarvainen mythtv at tapanitarvainen.fi
Sun Jul 29 07:20:01 UTC 2012

> While RAID5 is fast enough for many uses, what I particularly dislike
> in it is the horribly slow rebuild time and loss of performance during it.
> I have seen RAID5 arrays dies because another disk died during rebuild.

One more point here: in particular with big, multi-TB disks RAID5 is
of dubious value. The heavy disk activity dyring the long rebuild is
often the trigger that kills the second disk.
In MythTV context, independent disks might actually give better
reliability: if you have RAID5 die because of two disks failing you
lose everything in the array, with independent disks you lose only
what's on those disks.

--
Tapani Tarvainen