[mythtv-users] Issues since upgrading to 0.25

Enigma enigma at thedonnerparty.com
Fri Jun 1 17:48:13 UTC 2012

I recently upgraded my MythTV systems (2 backends, 5 frontends) to 0.25
from 0.24-fixes. Previously I was using a mix of various Debian and Ubuntu
versions, for the upgrade I installed Mythbuntu 12.04 on all frontends and
Ubuntu server on the backends.  Since the upgrade I have been having
several problems, I am posting this in the hope someone will recognize some
of these symptoms and recommend fixes/workarounds.

1.  HDPVR.  I am currently using a HDPVR hooked up to a DirecTV HD box.  I
am using http for channel changes, the HDPVR is not using the blaster.
Video is through component cables, audio is analog through the RCA jacks.
Since the upgrade the HDPVR has been extremely unstable.  Prior to the
upgrade, I had very few problems - the device has frozen maybe 2-3 times in
the past few years.  Since the upgrade the HDPVR is freezing up daily.
When it does this it takes the whole USB bus down and so I lose channel
changing on my other 2 directv boxes (which use USB->Serial adapters to
change the channel).  Has anyone else seen this behavior on Ubuntu 12.04?
This would seem to point to a driver issue since I didn't update the
firmware on the device as part of the upgrade, the only thing that changed
was the OS and MythTV version.

2.  Commercial Flagging.  Since the upgrade most of my recorded programs
don't get the commercials flagged.  Occasionally the Myth status page will
show a failure but for most of the programs it doesn't look like it ever
started the commflag job.  Was there something in 0.25 that changed under
which conditions the commflag job is run on a recording?  I do have a
couple of channels that are marked as commfree but this appears to be
affecting programs recorded from all channels.  If I manually start a
commflag job on these recordings it seems to complete fine but it does not
seem like it is getting automatically run for most of my recordings.  Has
anyone else seen this problem?

3. Remote control.  I purchased a USB receiver branded as "HP MCE remote",
lsusb reports it as "Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1934:5168 Feature Integration
Technology Inc. (Fintek) F71610A or F71612A Consumer Infrared
Receiver/Transceiver".  I am seeing occasional kernel panics related to
this receiver, is there anyone else using this hardware?  Is there
something I can do to address these crashes or do I pretty much have to
live with this behavior if I am using this receiver?

4.  MythMusic.  Everybody else hates it, why shouldn't I?  j/k!  The new
music interface does seem to have a problem remembering what playlist I had
selected before, each new time I go into music it tells me I haven't
selected any tracks to play.  Is this the normal behavior or do I have
something configured wrong?

5. Audio.  This is more of a configuration issue but any input would be
appreciated.  I have a new frontend (Asus eeeBox EB1012p) hooked to an HDTV
(Philips 46PFL5706/F7).  Currently, I am outputting audio over HDMI to the
TV and using a digital audio passthrough output on the TV to provide the
stream to my receiver.  The issue is that this configuration only allows me
to select stereo output even though my receiver is capable of 5.1.  Is this
because I am using HDMI and the TV only has 2 speakers?  Is there any way
to use HDMI audio in this manner to get full 5.1 audio or does the frontend
need to output directly to the receiver to get anything more than stereo?

There are some other issues but that's all I can remember at the moment.
If anyone has any pointers/workarounds/insights/already filed bugs for
these issues your input would be greatly appreciated.