[mythtv-users] myth 0.25 prolific log messages

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 1 20:18:15 UTC 2012

On 06/01/2012 03:24 PM, Dan Littlejohn wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 06/01/2012 09:18 AM, Ray Parrish wrote:
>>
>>> I recently upgraded to 0.25-fixes using Mythbuntu's auto-build repo,
>>> and I was surprised at the change in content of the Mythweb logs page.
>>> Now it seems to log every little detail from both the backend and the
>>> frontend on the same box. Is there a setting somewhere in either the
>>> backend or mythweb configuration to return logging to just the
>>> important backend events the way 0.24 did?
>>>
>> The MythWeb logs functionality should have been removed, because it's
>> broken by design.  No one should use it.  (Only reason I left it
>> in--completely broken--is because I didn't feel like fighting with users
>> who would complain when I removed it.)
>>
>> Those who actually need HTTP access to logging can choose to use the
>> services API to retrieve the desired information.
> People don't complain about things they don't care about.
>
> It is a bit ironic that the only things I used in MythWeb were MythWeather
> and the myth logs as they were really convenient.  I know this is free
> software, but these were working features

No, MythWeb log viewer wasn't working because database logging wasn't
working until we got a proper logger.

That said, I'm really curious what you needed to frequently look at in
the tiny amount of logging that got written to the database in 0.24 and
below.

>   that were removed and I guess you
> are saying the only way to look at the logs now is through some obscure
> API.

No, that's not at all what I'm saying.

I'm saying you can use the API directly with your own scripts, or you
can use the viewer that's provided by the backend.  I'm just saying that
the MythWeb page is broken and no one using 0.25 or above should use it.

>    Guess I will do without.

See, this is what I tried to avoid.

The backend log viewer is unfinished, because I'm finding it harder and
harder to get motivated to work on MythTV when the only reward any of us
seem to get is grief and complaints.  Eventually, when the viewer is
working properly, it will be available through MythWeb--but MythWeb will
be completely uninvolved in the whole feature (just as MythWeb is
completely uninvolved in the backend status page that's visible through
MythWeb, but created by the backend--and is also available without going
through MythWeb).

Eventually, MythWeb should be completely dismantled and all its
functionality should be provided as part of the backend.  Then, MythWeb
will become nothing more than a proxy in front of the backend services,
which allow you to put MythWeb-like functionality on the Internet
without exposing all of the (completely-insecure) backend functionality
available through the backend port.  And, for bonus points, MythWeb
could provide additional skins/themes/styles.

If you want a completed DVR, I recently heard that TiVo is releasing a
6-tuner system that allows playback on any TV in the house (and theirs
actually works with copy-once and even live playback of copy-never
material)...  If you use MythTV, you'll have to be patient or create
your own patches.

Mike