[mythtv-users] Issues since upgrading to 0.25

Andrew Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Sat Jun 2 04:32:00 UTC 2012

On 01/06/2012 11:56 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 5:48 AM, Enigma<enigma at thedonnerparty.com>  wrote:
>> 5. Audio.  This is more of a configuration issue but any input would be
>> appreciated.  I have a new frontend (Asus eeeBox EB1012p) hooked to an HDTV
>> (Philips 46PFL5706/F7).  Currently, I am outputting audio over HDMI to the
>> TV and using a digital audio passthrough output on the TV to provide the
>> stream to my receiver.  The issue is that this configuration only allows me
>> to select stereo output even though my receiver is capable of 5.1.  Is this
>> because I am using HDMI and the TV only has 2 speakers?  Is there any way to
>> use HDMI audio in this manner to get full 5.1 audio or does the frontend
>> need to output directly to the receiver to get anything more than stereo?
> Some TVs only output stereo over their spdif out connector. So it's
> hard to say where the problem lies.
>
> Does your receiver have HDMI inputs? If so you may be better with
> mythbox->receiver->TV

Never saw the op's post, so:

The trouble is with his setup is that the eeeBox is only seeing the edid
info from the TV (which probably only says it supports 2 channel
stereo).  Really he has two options, the easiest, as you suggested, (if
possible) is to go to the receiver then the TV.  The other option is to
hack the edid extended data block and then load the hacked block with
nVidia's customEdid option.

I'm not entirely sure this would work with the latest nvidia drivers
(they seemed to have changed some of the edid handling/validation), but
you theoretically could plug the computer into the receiver, capture the
receiver's edid, plug into the TV, get a mode debug of the TV's edid.
Build a set of custom modelines for Xorg based on the TV's edid.  In
xorg.conf, load the receiver's edid instead of the display's edid (via
the customEdid option), but then force X to use your custom modelines
for the display. The catch hear is that you can't ignore the edid after
modevalidation, noedidmodes, usedisplaydevice, connectedmonitor, dpi,
and exactmodetimingsdvi options to accomplish your overrides. FWIW, I
had done something similiar to this on one machine, but in the end went
and out and got a better receiver - still had to use the custom
modelines to get the most out of the display (and which also
incidentally fixed a few other minor issues with Xorg) but at least the
audio just worked.

Cheers,

Andrew.