[mythtv-users] Tablets and hearing aids with bluetooth

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 11:24:20 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Per Hatlevik <jakeisawake at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Our cable company Metrocast has notified us that analog is going
>> away by Nov.  We just got a couple HDHomerun Prime boxes and I
>> picked up a couple cable cards today.  I hope to have them running
>> tonight or this weekend.  I thought I read that the tablets would do
>> better with h264 encoded media rather than what our PVR-500
>> tuners provide.  Perhaps I am confused about this as well...
>
> you won't get h264 out of the hdhomerun prime. no us cable providers
> are using h264. you'll get mpeg2. HD at 1080i or 720p depending on the
> channel. i would be pretty surprised if any tablet could decode HD....
>
> good luck,
>
> per hatlevik

You might be able to stream to whatever tablet you are using via the
new streaming API.  Here are some instructions for trying out
streaming (taken from Robert McNamara's website) to get you started:

Testing Streaming Readiness

You can test whether your backend is ready for streaming by navigating
to this URL (replacing the IPOfYourBackend with the actual IP):

http://IPOfYourBackend:6544/

Click “3rd Party Software.” Click “JW Player.” When prompted, click
“Install.” Wait a few moments until the backend completes download of
the JS/Flash player.

Now click “API,” then “Examples,” then “HTTP Live Streaming.” List one
of your storage groups, start a stream, and when the link is ready,
click “Play.” If there is no video, or you’re not able to complete
these steps, there is something wrong with your backend setup! You may
be able to find some inspiration in the requirements below (your
backend is probably missing some options compiled in).

Unfortunately, the interface is just a list of your video file names
(with convenient names like 4671_20120520210000.mpg), but if you were
to create a special storage group that contained only a handful of
videos that your dad wanted to watch, it might not be too bad.

George