[mythtv-users] new installation issues

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 15:11:06 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 8:00 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Aren't there at least 2 rpm repos for mythtv? ATRPMS and another that
>> I don't know the name of.
>
> I suspect you are thinking of rpmfusion.
>
> AFAIK the epel (the extra packages for the enterprise
> linux distribution) repo does not (currently?) include
> mythtv (although there is probably no reason it could
> not if someone was willing to be the maintainer).
> For Fedora, mythtv has been part of the repo since,
> I think, rpmfusion was created (from the merger of
> three(?) different repos; atrpms was unable to join
> the merger for reasons best left to the email archive
> discussions).

Although it's very slow going, a few others and myself are working on
getting on the requirements available so that MythTV can be built for
EPEL 6 on RPM Fusion. There are basically three levels of problems:

1. Not all of the needed packages are available in EL proper (or are too old).
2. Not all of the needed packages are available in Fedora EPEL
3. Not all of the needed packages are available in RPM Fusion EPEL.

The are taking a while because RPM Fusion holds more strictly to the
Fedora guidelines including not providing packages that already exist
in Fedora (and in this case RHEL) repositories. ATrpms doesn't worry
about this.

MOST of these problems have now been resolved although the V4L in RHEL
is quite old and will not be updated in RHEL 6.2, maybe by 6.3...

I'm oversimplifying here from memory so sorry if anything is in error,
there is quite a complex package dependency chain across 3
repositories so it's hard to keep straight.

I have been able to build EL6 mythtv packages by locally packaging all
the requirements, so I know it does work (at least as of 0.24/fixes).
I haven't tried 0.25/fixes yet since there have been plenty of
problems with it that need my attention (besides work and home life).

Richard