[mythtv-users] [SOLVED] MythTV storage groups can't see 2nd hard drive

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jun 5 17:46:28 UTC 2012

JCF Junkmail wrote:

>Now I understand.  It seems MythTV developers expected me to give
>them the whole partition for exclusive MythTV use.

No, I don't believe that is correct.
Myth must have read/write access to the storage directory, and
implicit in that requirement is that it must have execute access (I
think, not sure about read as well) to all directories in the path to
it.
So, in order to access /content/myth, the myth user must have some
permissions to /content. The execute bit, when applied to
directories, gives permission to descend through that directory and
access stuff within it (assuming you know it's name and have
permissions on it) - but doesn't give you permission to list the
contents of the directory (that is given by the read bit).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_permissions#Traditional_Unix_permissions

You are welcome to put other stuff under /content, and you do not
need to give Myth any access to it. Obviously, if you do that, then
you will be sharing the physical space.

--
Simon Hobson